How and Where to Look for Help to Pay Utility Bills (Electric, Gas, Water)
But with rising energy costs and increasing job losses and layoffs, more and more people are finding it difficult to pay their electric, gas, and water bills.
If you are in a situation where you need help paying these bills, there are charities and organizations that are providing assistance to people just like you.
First, call your utility company.
- Ask if they have an assistance program, a discount program or if you can set up a payment plan.
- Be sure to let them know if you have an ill or elderly person or small children in the house. This may give you priority consideration.
Contact NEAR (National Energy Assistance Referral Project)
- They provide financial assistance towards a household’s energy bill, emergency assistance if a household’s home energy service is shut off or about to be shut off and give priority to those with a young child, disabled person, or frail older individual.
- You can call them at 1-866-674-6327 8:00 am – 6:00 pm EST.
- They can give you information for local and state LIHEAP (Low Income Energy Assistance Program) agencies in your area
Contact your local Community Action Agency (CAA)
- The service areas of Community Action Agencies (CAAs) cover 96 percent of the nation’s counties.
- Because each Community Action Agency is governed locally, each provides a different mix of services.
- Call (202) 265-7546 for information, or
1. Go to www.communityactionpartnership.com
2. Click on “Community Action Network”
3. Click on “Find a Community Action Agency”
4. Contact the local agency.
Contact a church close to you.
- If you belong to a church, call and ask about funds they may have set aside to help members.
- Many Catholic Churches try to help anyone in need in their parish area. If they cannot help, ask them for the phone number for the Society of St. Vincent de Paul in your area and the number for the local Catholic Charities.
Contact your city or county Housing Authority.
- In many areas they are conducting a Homeless Prevention Program.
- They may pay up to 3 months rent and utilities.
For more Resources that help with Utilities click on “Utilities” in the “Quick Info” Section on this blog. (FindHelptoPayMyBills.com).
Times are tough for everyone right now. And that includes Agencies and Organizations.
You may need to contact several places. If you cannot find all that you need from one place… you may be able to get part of what you need from several different places.
When you can, remember those who help you.
Pass it on. Donate what you can to help others facing the same kind of challenges you are facing. You know what it is like.
This is how we all help each other.
If you like this article click on the little yellow star at the bottom of this article.
And feel free to leave me a comment.
I’d love to hear from you!
I am a Registered Nurse and have been helping people for over 30 years
Throughout the years I have become acutely aware of the emotional toll on people facing financial difficulties, and the challenges they have trying to find help when they need it most desperately.
I had often wished there was a single source where people could go, to find out where to look for help and learn how to access it – quickly and easily. I never could find it.
That’s why I now research information and make it available for you in an organized, easy-to-use format on my blog @ FindHelptoPayMyBills.com
© Copyright Pat McMann All rights reserved.